Sunday 2 March 2014


Stock ball vital, says Harbhajan

The Indian off-spinner says variations not enough to be a match-winner.


 For someone who has excelled at the top level for over a decade with his wily off-spin, hanging up his boots after being shown the door by the national selectors would have been the easiest option. But Harbhajan Singh, a known fighter, still has the appetite to make a comeback to the Indian team.

While others in his position would be happy to ridicule the poor performances of R. Ashwin, who is playing in the Indian team, Harbhajan wants to talk about his own game and wishes his fellow off-spinner luck. But he did have an advice for any bowler wanting to succeed at the international level.

“One can have as many variations as one wants, but one needs to keep working on the stock delivery. Whether you hold the ball seam up or cross seam, you have to bowl off-break because as an off-spinner that is your job. Kapil Dev (in the past) and Dale Steyn have the out-swinger as their stock ball and they never shied away from bowling that,” the 33-year-old cricketer said.

“As for Ashwin, I haven’t really followed his recent games, but I am sure he will be back among wickets soon."

Having played a lot of domestic matches this season, Harbhajan is disappointed with the lack of aggressive spinners in the country.

“I can’t see any great talent emerging. To be honest, I haven’t seen someone who can give the ball a real tweak or can spin the ball on any surface. As for Parveez Rasool, I think he has talent and is a good batsman, but needs to work a little more on his bowling to make it to the next level,” he said.

The off-spinner played county cricket last season, and said he will take a call about the coming off-season after the Indian Premier League.

“I haven’t thought about it yet. Let me see where I stand at the end of the IPL and then I will take a call,” he said.

Being the skipper of a state team when he is himself looking to make a comeback isn’t an easy job, but Harbhajan says he keeps things simple. “I have asked all my players to go out there are express themselves,” he added.

0 comments: